I was reading over an old journal I wrote about a month ago today.
It was November 10th. Adam and I had been dating about two weeks and I was flying high! I had reserved two seats to this really interesting sounding presentation by a woman who had survived the Holocaust. Her name was Naomi Ban.
The one I remember in reflecting on my journal entry from that evening was that it really made it apparent how precious family and friends were. Naomi lost her mom, her Grandmother, her 13 year-old sister and her dad. It made it all so real; the importance of family was solidified.
I remembered leaving feeling like I needed to start making more of an effort with my family, but it also vindicated my desire to get out and see the world. Obviously, we are not faced with concentration camps or imprisonment, but staying in one location and experiencing life through one scope, one lens seemed all so dumb. I needed to get out and see the world, experience life in different locations, surrounded by different people.
I don't know why I felt compelled to go to this presentation, but after I left it became clear that the stark reminder of the importance of family and friends was apparent. I'm rambling now, but that's only because I have three days left of my undergraduate career before I'll be a California boy.
Aloha
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment